SPECIAL UPDATE #25 2/11/11
UPPER LEVEL



Some great progress has been made lately. After much thought on how the upper level would be accomplished, we came up with a hybrid system. I was originally going to use a wall down the middle and then add brackets to support benchwork. This seemed like a good idea at the time but the closer I got to actually installing it, it really wouldn't work.

L-girder is another type of benchwork I was considering but being that the upper level is still working it's way up-grade, that wouldn't work either. So after a small brainstorming session with Dave, we came up with a "wall-girder" system.

Attaching short arms to the wall and gradually making each one slightly higher to match the grade I wanted would be the perfect solution to build the upper level. I built the first wall section straight down the middle. For the end of this island I made two short walls that come off at a slight angle. The reason for this was to keep the arm lengths from getting too long on the rounded end.

Gary made it over for a long work session on Wednesday and we got all of the arms installed on the first island. They went up a lot quicker and easier than I thought too. By the end of the day we still had time to rough out a piece of plywood for the end. I finished the cutting on this today and got it screwed down along with the fascia. I was actually very surprised at the final look. When I only had the arms attached it looked like something out of a Mad Max film. The end result is great though. I got a much better curve then I did trying to box out the lower level.

With this new system working well I will be able to progress on the upper level fairly quickly. If all goes well this should lead to finishing the mainline soon. We will keep our fingers crossed.




Upper level wall.




Upper level wall.




Arms installed.




Arms installed.




Arms installed.




Plywood and fascia installed.




Plywood and fascia installed.